Friday, December 21, 2012

I have given up - Dr. Duke

I think it is official. I just don't like the writing of Hunter S. Thompson. Years ago I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and thought it was good though about 50 pages longer than my interest led me to desire. This year I took out from the library two of his books to listen to while driving. I lasted 20 minutes of Rum Diary before radio commercials and oldies rock seemed more fascinating and pertinent. I was nearly half way done with Hey Rube, before I just threw up my hands. I think some of that had to do with the reader, he had a scratchy near yelling voice (I wanted to give him a lozenge and remind him that he should use his inside voiceu) But even with that, I didn't care what he was saying and the Thompson hyperbole just wore my ass out.  So that's it. I think I am done trying to like his work. He is one of the writers people speak of with reverence but I don't think the people who name drop him read him that much.

Blasphemy alert!!!!

I feel the same way about William S Burroughs. Can't seem to get through any of his books. I admire him, I just don't think I can read him for longer than 20 pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment