Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Cooking Books

One of the series I have been writing and sending over to Linguistic Erosion is the Short Order Mad Man, where I have a nutbag tell his crazy stories in the land of food and restaurants. This should be easy for someone who has worked in the food industry. But. Yeah, I ain't never worked in the food industry. I watch Anthony Bourdain, Top Chef and whatever thing I can use as background on Cooking Channel. I make this shit up is what I do. Its a writers thing. But I can't totally bluff so I have been reading up on cooking and the cooking world. I am slowly going through a MFK Fischer book and I finished two others.

The first one was Anthony Bourdain's novel The Bobby Gold Stories. I really wanted to like it a lot, but I thought it was just okay at best. Its about a mob muscle who works in the food and night club scene. Some of the moments were fine, but mostly, it was a poor imitation of the Friends of Eddie Coyle with a little bit of Big Night thrown in. But some of the tone was good, that hard boiled fiction meets soft boiled egg world was kinda cool and I am sure I will be stealing some of that voice for the stories as  I go on.

Here is a link to the second one I wrote. http://www.linguisticerosion.com/2012/07/the-short-order-mad-man-on-toast-club.html

No comments:

Post a Comment