Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I have a book I picked up about five years ago called "Comics Gone Ape" or something to that effect. It is awful to think that I can easily look it up and verify the title, but I am too lazy to do so, oh well. The book is a pretty funny look at popularity of simians in comic books. It goes into the old saw that DC comics back in the 1960s realized that there was a sales bump everytime a gorilla was on the cover, so they put monkeys on the covers often to help with sales. I have heard this time and time again, but part of me feels that its kind of bull. Still, its a pretty funny story.

I started the latest Grand Fiend story with that in mind when I wrote the first line, but then put it aside because we had to go somewhere. The next day, I picked up the latest issue of Hogan's Alley in the bookstore, and lo, there was an article in it how in the 1960s, DC Comics used apes on the covers as a way to increase sales. This was fate telling me to finish the story, not really, but still a funny coincidence. The story was done that night.

Here it is, as always, at Linguistic Erosion

http://www.linguisticerosion.com/2012/08/conversations-with-grand-fiend-gorillas.html

No comments:

Post a Comment