Saturday, August 18, 2012

Lou #5

I found a great a mini-comic, Lou #5 from Melissa Mendes. She is part of this thing I subscribed to from Oily Comics. They are doing mini comics and for a fee, they send me everything they made for the month. I got five mini comics and they are across the board on style.

Lou is great, about a tom boy living in an isolated area. What  I love is that at the end of this brief eight page story, some real adult menace shows up and you see how kids deal with it, and percieve it. I thought it was great.

I have already said that I like her work, at the Maine Comic Art Festival I bought one of her original water color strips and that inspired one of my "Grand Fiend" stories. So, yeah, I am a fan.

I think people who write flash and other short form fiction, like me, can learn from people doing eight page mini comics, the sense of timing and space.  Here is a link to a page from Oily Comics and what Melissa Mendes is doing. http://oilyboutique.bigcartel.com/artist/melissa-mendes

No comments:

Post a Comment